Wei Liu, Ph.D
Mailing address: PO Box 208109, New Haven CT 06520-8109
Street address: 210 Whitney Ave., New Haven CT 06511
Ph.D., Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison, December 2012
Minor, Applied Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, August, 2010
M.S., Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Ocean University of China, July 2005
B.S., Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Ocean University of China, July 2002
Physical oceanography, Climate dynamics, Paleoclimate
1. Liu, W., S.-P. Xie, Z. Liu and J. Zhu, 2017, Overlooked possibility of a collapsed Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation in warming climate. Science Advances, 3, e1601666, doi:10.1126/sciadv.1601666.
2. Liu, W., S.-P. Xie and J. Lu, 2016, Tracking ocean heat uptake during the surface-warming hiatus. Nature Comm., 10926, doi: 10.1038/ncomms10926.
3. Cheng J., Z. Liu, S. Zhang, W. Liu, L. Dong, P. Liu and H. Li, 2016, Reduced Interdecadal Variability of Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation in Global Warming. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 201604999.
4. Long, S.-M., S.-P. Xie, and W. Liu, 2016, Uncertainty in tropical rainfall projections: Atmospheric circulation effect and the ocean coupling. J. Climate, 29, 2671-2687.
5. Huang, B., P. W. Thorne, T. M. Smith, W. Liu, J. Lawrimore, V. F. Banzon, H-M Zhang, T. C. Peterson, M. Menne, 2016, Further Exploring and Quantifying Uncertainties for Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature (ERSST) Version 4 (v4). J. Climate, 29, 3119-3142.
6. Liu, W., B. Huang, P. W. Thorne, V. F. Banzon, H-M Zhang, E. Freeman, J. Lawrimore, T. C. Peterson, T. M. Smith, and S. D. Woodruff, 2015, Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature version 4 (ERSST.v4). Part II: Parametric and Structural Uncertainty Estimations. J. Climate, 28, 911-930.
7. Liu, W. and A. Hu, 2015, The role of the PMOC in modulating the deglacial shift of the ITCZ. Clim. Dyn., 45, 3019-3034.
8. Liu, W., Z. Liu, J. Cheng, and H. Hu, 2015, On the stability of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation during the last deglaciation. Clim. Dyn., 44, 1257-1275.
9. Liu, W., J. Lu, L. R. Leung, S.-P. Xie, Z. Liu and J. Zhu, 2015, The de- correlation of westerly winds and westerly-wind stress over the Southern Ocean during the Last Glacial Maximum. Clim. Dyn., 45, 3157-3168.
10. Liu, W., J. Lu and S.-P. Xie, 2015, Understanding the Indian Ocean response to double CO2 forcing in a coupled model. Ocean Dynam., 65, 1037-1046.
11. Huang, B., V. F. Banzon, E. Freeman, J. Lawrimore, W. Liu, T. C. Peterson, T. M. Smith, P. W. Thorne, S. D. Woodruff, and H-M Zhang, 2015, Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature version 4 (ERSST.v4). Part I: Upgrades and Intercomparsions. J. Climate, 28, 911-930.
12. Luo Y., J. Lu, F. Liu, and W. Liu, 2015, Understanding the El Nino-like Oceanic Response in the Tropical Pacific to Global Warming. Clim. Dyn., 7, 1945-1964.
13. Zhu J., Z. Liu, J. Zhang, and W. Liu, 2015, The AMOC response to global warming: dependence on background climate and response timescales. Clim. Dyn., 44, 3449-3468.
14. Liu, W., and Z. Liu, 2014a, A Note on the Stability Indicator of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation. J. Climate, 27, 969–975.
15. Liu, W., and Z. Liu, 2014b, Assessing the stability of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation of the past, present and future. J. Meteor. Res., 28, 803-819.
16. Liu, W., Z. Liu, and E. C. Brady, 2014, Why is the AMOC mono-stable in Coupled General Circulation Models? J. Climate, 27, 2427–2443.
17. Liu Z., X. Wen, E.C. Brady, B. Otto-Bliesner, G. Yu, H. Lu, H. Cheng, Y. Wang, W. Zheng, T. Ding, R. L. Edwards, J. Cheng, W. Liu, and H. Yang, 2014, Chinese cave records and the East Asia Summer Monsoon. Quat. Sci. Rev., 83, 115-128.
18. Zhu, J., Z. Liu, X. Zhang, I. Eisenman, and W. Liu, 2014, Linear weakening of the AMOC in response to receding glacial ice sheets in CCSM3. Geophys. Res. Lett., 41, 6252–6258.
19. Liu, W., Z. Liu, and A. Hu, 2013, The stability of an evolving Atlantic meridional overturning circulation. Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 1562-1568.
20. Liu, W., and Z. Liu, 2013, A diagnostic indicator of the stability of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation in CCSM3. J. Climate, 26, 1926-1938.
21. Liu, W., F. Bretherton, Z. Liu, L. Smith, H. Lu, and C. Rutland, 2010, Breaking of progressive internal waves: convective instability and shear instability. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 40, 2243-2263.
22. Jia Y., Q. Liu, and W. Liu, 2005, Primary Study of the Mechanism of Eddy Shedding from the Kuroshio Bend in Luzon Strait. J. Oceanogr., 61, 1017-1027.